Matt Loganbill

A Missouri State Trooper provides security while federal officers conduct business Monday, March 29 at the residence of Matthew Loganbill, who was arrested Monday on charges of Obstruction of Congressional Proceeding, Unlawful Entry, and Violent Entry or Disorderly Conduct for his involvement in the Wednesday, Jan. 6 breach of the United States Capitol in Washington D.C. (photo by Aaron Rottman)

Matthew Eugene Loganbill, 55, of Versailles was arrested in Morgan County by federal agents Monday, March 29 on charges of Obstruction of Congressional Proceeding, Unlawful Entry, and Violent Entry or Disorderly Conduct for his involvement in the Wednesday, Jan. 6 breach of the United States Capitol in Washington D.C., when certain individuals forced their way past barricades and U.S. Capitol Police officers and entered the building.
According to documents filed in the United States District Court of the District of Columbia, Loganbill was named as a “principal and an aider and abettor” in the incident. The charges indicate Loganbill allegedly violated federal law by:
1) “Corruptly interfering with, obstructing, and attempting to do the same, of an official proceeding, that is a Joint Session of Congress to count the electors for the Electoral College.”
2) “Knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority to do so … with intent to impeding or disrupting the orderly conduct of government business or official functions and …
3) “Engaging in disorderly or disruptive conduct.”
Loganbill’s involvement was initially brought to the attention of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) by two confidential witnesses, who stated they saw posts on social media that Loganbill had participated in the Capitol riots. Loganbill is a federal firearms dealer and owner of Tooth and Nail Armory in Gravois Mills.
A drivers license photo and Facebook photos were obtained by law enforcement and were consistent with each other. The FBI also identified Loganbill based on two FBI tip line reports, information obtained from open source and government databases, and direct investigation.
One witness provided the FBI with a screenshot image containing comments made by Loganbill. The witness also indicated Loganbill was “immersed in the paramilitary lifestyle, viewed himself as a patriot, and likely felt his actions at the Capitol … were justified.”
A second witness provided two images for Loganbill’s Facebook account, along with commentary associated with the user, regarding the riot.
Loganbill was interviewed by a special agent of the FBI Jan. 13. Loganbill admitted to traveling to Washington D.C. to attend the “Stop the Steal” rally/protest Jan. 6. He claimed he was not aware of any preexisting plan or plot to attempt to storm the U.S. Capitol. He said he saw several protesters fighting with the police and that he could see members of the group breach the police line.
After tear gas was fired at protesters, Loganbill then stated he ducked behind a storage container and donned a gas mask and helmet he brought with him. He stated he followed protesters into the Capitol. Loganbill added he did not personally damage any property or participate in any acts of violence and did not believe he committed any crimes.
Court documents report Loganbill spoke with a Capitol police officer and told the officer, “We came peacefully this time” but that “it would be different if we have to come again,” or words to that effect.
Loganbill’s statements to the FBI contradict his social media posts at the time in regard to the amount of time he spent inside the Capitol and his version of events.
A social media post from two days before the riots, Jan. 4, read, “So when he [Trump] says the election was rigged I’ll bet my life on him being right … 74 million strong sir, we got your back.” (Ellipses in original.)
On the day of the Capitol riot, Loganbill posted: “Everything was fine all the way to the Capitol, we were near the front. I didn’t see any push against the police line until after 8-10 tear gas canisters were fired into the crowd. Then we pushed forward and broke the line into the Capitol. Inside the Capitol was confrontational, but no Patriots hit any police that I was, {sic} they sprayed us down several times.”
Two days after the riot, Jan. 8, Loganbill responded to a comment on his Facebook account in an apparent justification for his actions: “when there are 2, maybe 3, ‘levels’ of who the law apply’s to – if at all. When the SCOTUS refuses to even hear grievances between states (their most basic job), when states don’t follow their own Constitutions and allow un-elected bureaucrats to write sweeping edicts that effects peoples basic rights. Yes, yes, they no longer matter.”
After widespread press accounts depicting the violence at the Capitol, Loganbill made the following comment on his Facebook account Jan. 7, “WHY were they lying on the floor? None of the Patriots had guns, if they would have had anything, it would have been a striking weapon –wouldn’t you want to be on your feet and MOBILE? I’m just a dumb ‘terrorist’ I guess.”
The FBI agent reported he reviewed body-worn camera footage from officers inside the Capitol and surveillance video and located footage showing Loganbill and others being directed to leave the rotunda area.
The FBI finalized its report and charges were filed Monday, March 15 in United States District Court.
Federal agents were present Monday, March 29 at the Loganbill residence off Route T southwest of Versailles. However, a newspaper photographer from the Leader-Statesman and Morgan County Press was not allowed close to the scene.